10.12.2008

rescue me


last night i was cleaning up and rearranging some files on the computer.
somehow, i unknowingly deleted all 13,000+ photos on my computer.
i have been able to retrieve about 400 of them (most of those were either copies
or deleted pictures). i have no idea what else to do. i guess i will resort to a data
recovery software that will cost who knows how much and may or may not work.

i have never done anything like this before. ever!
i was also stupid in that i did not back up my files.
lesson learned.

i got my camera the week henry was born. so i have basically lost all
photos from his birth up until the photos i uploaded yesterday afternoon.
some things i have on disc and thank goodness for flickr, because other than
that i think my photos are gone.

if anyone out there has any advice on what steps i should take i will
gladly try any and all suggestions.

and please, don't remind me that i should have backed up my files.
ouch. i know.

7 comments:

  1. Jess, did you go to your recycling bin? Even when you delete files, they are not permanently gone unless you empty that bin. A mac may be different, so I'm not sure. Hope you find them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have a mac? Did you delete the pictures or did you delete a related file and then your iPhoto didn't show the pictures any longer?
    If you use iPhoto - it has a separate recycling bin ...

    I am very sorry I cannot help, I can just tell you that I really truly feel sorry. I had a similar feeling back in July.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh. my. so sorry for this. (she says as she adds buy external hard drive TOMORROW to her to-do list). have faith, friend. i have feared this very thing, many times, and i cannot imagine how distressing it must be to you. big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10/13/2008

    Oh NO! Okay, this happened to me, too. iPhoto just went black. Registered nothing. But it shouldn't be gone GONE -- even when it says you have made it gone for forever it still lurks in there somehow. I called up a Mac guy -- do you have a Mac guy? Or a Mac store nearby? Not that this is what you want to be doing driving around currently -- but my Mac guy was able to retrieve the files somehow. It took two hours. And I had to suffer the lecture about always backing up on hard drive and saving to disk. Ack. Good luck... I bet you can get them back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am so incredibly sad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks everyone. the worst part (besides possibly losing all our pictures) is the timing. i can't really deal with this until at least later in the week.
    i tried to recover the pics with some slight help from a mac person and it may have made it worse. i'll keep you posted on this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10/21/2008

    I found a few recovery programs. Of course they are more expensive since they are for a MAC, but they are not astronomical.

    http://www.macintosh-data-recovery.com/buy-now.php

    http://www.tech-pro.net/data-rescue-ii.html

    ReplyDelete

Compliments, grievances and any other general feedback