4.14.2008

Proud Wife

This past Friday, Matt and I attended the first annual Georgia Artists exhibit at the Abernathy Arts Center. Matt submitted three sculptures to the arts committee and they chose one to show at this exhibit. We had a good time and got to see some great works by several artists. The most amusing moment for me was when we were standing near Matt's sculpture soon after we arrived and we overheard this:

Wife to husband (sour look on her face), "Matt Lewis? Never heard of him. Have you?"
Husband responds by shrugging and then shaking head no. They keep moving on.

We pretty much looked at each other and just started laughing. I suggested starting a whisper campaign a la Kermit the Frog. I'm embarrassed to repeat what Matt suggested I say, but it was quite funny and it made my tea almost come out my nose.

After we made the rounds, we went outside for a bit. There we were treated to a stunning show by a red-shouldered hawk.
It was a beauty. We even go to see it catch its dinner, or rather appetizer, because I don't think it was finished. We decided we should let it feast in peace and returned indoors for the awards ceremony.


When we returned we got the highlight of the evening which was seeing the red dot on the name card next to Matt's sculpture.
It sold! One of two pieces that sold opening night. Pretty exciting. I even teared up a bit (maybe a lot). I am so proud of him. I know it can be difficult to put your work into the world and have it be judged, so for his sculpture to sell was so thrilling. He works so hard and is truly gifted. I am so glad he got this small ego boost that all artists need on occasion.


And, just one more photo from the night. One of my favorites. These two were sitting here talking (a bit loudly) during the entire awards ceremony. I found it entirely amusing as well as their conversation, at least the bits I heard. They reminded me of Statler and Waldorf.

Oh yes, and if you would like to see more of Matt's work please visit here. It's just a small sampling, website is in (slow) progress.

2 comments:

  1. That's so cool! Way to go, Matt! And whispering campaigns? The crazier, the better . . . including what might go into the clay or sculpting medium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4/14/2008

    Oh man, oh man people are amazing aren't they?! Jeesh! I LOVE the smile on his face -- that's so great that he sold! Congratulations, Matt!

    ReplyDelete

Compliments, grievances and any other general feedback