3.04.2009

striving to reach goals

on its way

part of my new years goals was to contribute to our meals more often. matt is primarily the chef around here & rightly so. he is more efficient at it than i am and he can create great concoctions with whatever we have on hand, whereas i need a recipe (with a photo, please). and he enjoys the process more than i do, although i am starting to enjoy my non-cleaning time in the kitchen. my biggest problem is that i totally trash the kitchen as i am cooking no matter how simple the dish. really.
i feel that it isn't fair for matt to work as much and as hard as he does to then come home and have to immediately cook dinner. ideally i would cook during the week and he can cook his yummy dishes on the weekends, but i know it won't work out that way. i am a slow chef. and with two little ones distracting me, well, i don't fare to well. my best bet is making things that i can prep while they nap and then later finish on the stove top or toss into the oven. realistically, i am doing my best to make a few meals a week and continue making all of our bread. this week i have made two meals so far, with both having enough for leftovers.

also trying out a new recipe from artisan bread in 5 minutes a day. having a go at the spinach and feta loaf. i have high expectations, it sounds and looks delicious as it is rising as i type. if i haven't mentioned it before, i love this book. i had never made bread before this book came into my life and i am now totally hooked. i don't think we have bought bread since late october/early november. i have a bread machine, but have no clue how to use it. though i want to try that too.

and in keeping with the food theme, go check out molly's post today. she's beginning what is sure to be an interesting food journey and i am glad she is sharing some of the information she's discovering. this should be an education!

5 comments:

  1. How did it come out? It sounds delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. haven't baked it yet. i will let you know. (but, how could it be bad? well, if i don't burn it.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3/05/2009

    fitting picture for green week across blogland:0)

    I never used to be able to cook.I wasn't taught as a child.I was in fact taught when I was twenty one.I love to cook.
    one tip,find a couple of meals that you can knock out with little ones running around.Email me if you would like a few,I have some real lifesavers and they taste yum:0)
    Also make a big batch of sauce and freeze in four portions.That,over penne and some broccoli on the side is one day of the week covered for the month:0)
    I must check that book out again as the last time i got it from the library coincided with me falling preggers,again,and being too sick to look at it.Now I am in the 2nd tri and want to eat everything in sight,I think I will get further.You have stirred my curiosity with the spinach bread.
    cheerio

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmmm. perhaps your matt and my paul should get together and trade tips...they both share similar experiences i think :)

    *I am often deterred by cookbooks -- too fancy or too expensive -- or is that just me making excuses..

    ReplyDelete
  5. helen,
    yes, i think paul and matt would get on pretty well. i think we all would : )

    as for cookbooks, my grandparents have a big collection we borrow from and we buy most of our from clearance tables. if it has pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Compliments, grievances and any other general feedback