7.15.2008

Unexpected (freebie) Saturday

We had a few nice surprises this weekend. We didn't have any plans (which is the norm). Our big plans for Saturday were to go buy a couple of filters for the A/C (much needed) and then a run to the grocery store (also much needed). When we got to Lowe's we saw a bunch of tables set up outside and lots of kids wearing aprons and safety goggles hammering away at some little project. I thought "how fun, won't that be good to do with Henry someday?". Well, I guess someday was Saturday. We walked up and were invited to participate in building a wooden race car. Just sign a waiver and you get the materials, apron and goggles (all FREE!), just return the hammers to the basket when you are done please. Oh, and he got a little badge to be sewn on the apron! Henry was really into it, just a hammerin' away. Of course he wanted the big hammer and not the child size hammer, but they both worked so no big deal. Of course me, being on the hormonal roller coaster that I'm on, kept getting teary and silently swearing at myself for not bringing the camera. What is wrong with me? Of course I should bring my camera to the home improvement store and grocery store! The opportunities that I could miss!

I realize the discovery of this little workshop is not that exciting and probably not so new to many people, but I was thrilled. I think we will do this every few Saturdays. It took 30 minutes out of our morning, we all worked together, he got a free wooden toy and he helped build it. Henry was so proud of his car. And I was so proud of him.

Then on Sunday when it was a bit stormy out Henry got to make use of the project again and paint it. A twofer!




The other unexpected perk to our Saturday was finding out the Lovell Sisters were putting on a free concert in a park near our house. It didn't start until the boy's bedtime, but we thought we'd give it a shot. We loaded up a couple of chairs, some knitting, and the camera and headed out. The concert was on the square where my favorite local coffee shop, The Serene Bean and my LYS, The Whole Nine Yarns are located. We arrived early to get decent parking, which we did and so I could pop into the coffee shop for a diet root beer, which I did. There was a bounce house set up in the park, so Matt took Henry and from what I hear he held his own pretty well. Matt also said it was probably a good thing I wasn't there to see it. I agree. There was also free face painting (we passed on this), balloon animals (the boy got a dog) and water available. We did splurge on some Kettle corn though.
I wish I could tell you more about the concert. What I did hear was great. But, we had the unexpected luck of sitting behind another couple with a 2.5 yr old little girl that Henry made quick friends with, so most of our evening was spent chatting and wrangling toddlers. I pity the people around us. Our new friends were so nice to let us invade their space though. Henry was quite comfortable with them in a hurry. As a matter of fact, some people they knew came up to chat with them and seeing that their little girl was hanging out with us, asked how we all knew each other. At that point we hadn't gotten much beyond hello! (Did I mention this little girl was a-d-o-r-a-b-l-e!) So, while we missed much of the concert, we all made new friends to some great background music.







It turned out to be a pretty darn good Saturday for not having any plans and the naps that followed on Sunday were pretty sweet too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Compliments, grievances and any other general feedback